The work is in four movements:
- Ocean in whose deep currents one hears the voices of the unborn.
- Fog in whose caress one hears the voices of lovers.
- Harbour in whose cries one hears the voices of the old and wise.
- Dragon in whose fiery breath one hears the voices of the dead.
The source materials, one sequence for each movement, are recordings of Canadian West Coast environmental sound, namely (in order) ocean waves on the west coast of Vancouver Island, boathorns in Vancouver harbour on New Year’s Eve, Vancouver harbour ambience with seagulls, and the Dragon Dance in Vancouver’s Chinatown celebrating the Chinese New Year. All sounds are heard at their original pitch.
- Year of composition:
- Software used:
- Duration of the submitted work:
- Disc publication:
Allik, Austin, Bach, Bouchard, Calder, Crossman, Cumbo, Dal Farra, de Chevigny, Frenette…185 tracks
More works by Barry D. Truax
The Shaman Ascending (2004)15:00
The Way of the Spirit (2005) Randy Raine-Reusch16:00
Wave Edge (1983)9:15
Bamboo, Silk And Stone (1994) (excerpt) Randy Raine-Reusch3:12
The Garden of Sonic Delights (2015)11:00
East Wind (1981) P Hannan, recorder10:55
Thou and I (2003) William George, Steve Maddock10:00
Solar Ellipse (1984)10:50
Nightwatch (1982) R Hartenberger, marimba13:27